On 10/16/07, Jan Kiszka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after looking at the reason for the nkaffinity-vs.-POSIX issue [1]
> again, I came to the conclusion that there is no way to apply the
> current global affinity scheme on the POSIX skin. This scheme goes like
> this:
>  - If the user provides whatever thread affinity _explicitly_, use this
>    one.
>  - If the user doesn't do so, apply the global nkaffinity.
>
> In kernel space, is is simple to differentiate between both cases,
> because all affinity fiddling for all skins go through Xenomai's hands.
> But for the user space POSIX skin, we rely on the task affinity that is
>  set using standard Linux services, and that one has no "dirty-bit" to
> tell both scenarios apart.
>
> So my conclusion is that we should rather apply the nkaffinity always,
> ie. logically AND it with the desired (or default) affinity. The
> system's default behaviour will still be the same compared to earlier
> Xenomai versions, as nkaffinity is ALL_CPUS by default. I also think
> this behaviour is easier to understand for the user than the current
> approach.
>
> Any concerns about the (yet untested) attached patch?

Well... Thanks for working in my stead. I had a look a the posix
situation but could not find the place in the code where the affinity
was set for user-space posix threads.

But when looking at the way nkaffinity worked, I wondered why it was
not set globally with a cpus_and on the tasks affinity. So, I
basically agree with your patch (if it does what I think it does).

--
                                               Gilles Chanteperdrix