Philippe Gerum wrote:
> The I-pipe/i386 has been ported to 2.6.24-rc1, so that we could swallow
> the i386/x86_64 merge which just happened upstream, without having to
> fiddle at the same time with the slew of other core changes which will
> hit the street before 2.6.24 is released. You need the latest trunk/ to
> configure Xenomai for this kernel properly, or at least update those two
> files:
>
> - scripts/prepare_kernel.sh
> - ksrc/arch/i386/Kconfig.
>
> Please check if this patch runs your x86 hw reasonably well, while I'm
> busy merging ksrc/arch/{i386, x86_64} on the Xenomai side. The plan is
> to have a unified x86* tree for Xenomai 2.4 which has to work with all
> supported kernel releases, including 2.6.24. Yes, I know we are in -rc
> phase, but such merge should mostly reshuffle the directory layout, and
> not the implementation per se, otherwise, it will have to wait for 2.5.

[While building the new toy...] Hmm, I'm not a big fan of this schedule.
Unless we want to delay Xenomai 2.4 for even more months, we will not be
able to develop the unification against any stable kernel (the
unification is not yet done with 2.6.24-rc1!).

*IF* such an internal refactoring of Xenomai is actually that
straightforward, why not postpone it until some later 2.4 release? I
would rather prefer to role out something matured, also
build-system-wise, now instead of risking to generate new regressions.
But to make concreter: Do you plan to just create hal_32.c and hal_64.c,
or do you then also want to merge both into hal.c?

> At the end of the day (i.e. sometime during the v2.4 maintenance cycle),
> we should have the I-pipe/x86_64 merged with the I-pipe/i386 support,
> leading to the I-pipe/x86-2.0 series, on top of 2.6.24, and all of that
> usable with a unified ia32/64 Xenomai support, which is basically what
> we already have now on the powerpc side of the universe.
>
> http://download.gna.org/adeos/patches/v2.6/i386/adeos-ipipe-2.6.24-rc1-i386-1.10-11.patch
>
> PS: slightly tested here. Looks ok, sun is still shining, birds are
> still singing, hardware is not burning - yet.

Will let you know the result from my box soon.