Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Philippe Gerum wrote:
>> The I-pipe/i386 has been ported to 2.6.24-rc1, so that we could swallow
>> the i386/x86_64 merge which just happened upstream, without having to
>> fiddle at the same time with the slew of other core changes which will
>> hit the street before 2.6.24 is released. You need the latest trunk/ to
>> configure Xenomai for this kernel properly, or at least update those two
>> files:
>> - scripts/prepare_kernel.sh
>> - ksrc/arch/i386/Kconfig.
>> Please check if this patch runs your x86 hw reasonably well, while I'm
>> busy merging ksrc/arch/{i386, x86_64} on the Xenomai side. The plan is
>> to have a unified x86* tree for Xenomai 2.4 which has to work with all
>> supported kernel releases, including 2.6.24. Yes, I know we are in -rc
>> phase, but such merge should mostly reshuffle the directory layout, and
>> not the implementation per se, otherwise, it will have to wait for 2.5.
> [While building the new toy...] Hmm, I'm not a big fan of this schedule.
> Unless we want to delay Xenomai 2.4 for even more months, we will not be
> able to develop the unification against any stable kernel (the
> unification is not yet done with 2.6.24-rc1!).
> *IF* such an internal refactoring of Xenomai is actually that
> straightforward, why not postpone it until some later 2.4 release? I
> would rather prefer to role out something matured, also
> build-system-wise, now instead of risking to generate new regressions.
> But to make concreter: Do you plan to just create hal_32.c and hal_64.c,
> or do you then also want to merge both into hal.c?
>> At the end of the day (i.e. sometime during the v2.4 maintenance cycle),
>> we should have the I-pipe/x86_64 merged with the I-pipe/i386 support,
>> leading to the I-pipe/x86-2.0 series, on top of 2.6.24, and all of that
>> usable with a unified ia32/64 Xenomai support, which is basically what
>> we already have now on the powerpc side of the universe.
>> http://download.gna.org/adeos/patches/v2.6/i386/adeos-ipipe-2.6.24-rc1-i386-1.10-11.patch
>> PS: slightly tested here. Looks ok, sun is still shining, birds are
>> still singing, hardware is not burning - yet.
> Will let you know the result from my box soon.

Appears to work fine here as well, including SMP. Just one oddity so
far: /sys/module/xeno_nucleus is missing, thus a way to tune module
parameters of the built-in nucleus. xeno_hal or xeno_native, e.g., are
there. Strange.

But beyond this, I really like 2.6.24 - my new notebook finally
generates sound with its built-in speakers! 8)