Steven A. Falco wrote:
> Your patch makes sense.
>
> I have some results, but I'm not sure I understand what they mean.  I've
> attached the test program that I am using.  Here is what it outputs:
>
> bash-3.00# ./o2
> Trying to free nonexistent resource <0000000000000000-00000000c0000001>
> get leds: -16 Device or resource busy
> put leds: 0 Success
>
> Trying to free nonexistent resource <0000000000000000-ffffffffffffffff>
> get low_mem: -16 Device or resource busy
> put low_mem: 0 Success

Actually, we should define rt_misc_put_io_region() as a void routine,
since the kernel does not return any status from release_region(). At
this chance, I've fixed this, since returning 0 albeit a failure message
is dumped to the kernel log upon error is disturbing.

> I am a little unclear on request_resource() - the return code is
> backwards of what I would have expected.  Looking at examples in the
> kernel, it appears that request_resource() returns EBUSY when things go
> well, and it returns 0 when things go badly.  Like I said, that seems
> backwards, but I guess it makes sense - EBUSY apparently means that the
> resource is _now_ busy?

request_resource() should return a valid resource descriptor address
upon success, which Xenomai converts to zero. Conversely, -EBUSY is
returned if request_region() sends us back a NULL value, since this is
how check_region() behaves.

> Anyway, following the kernel examples, my program considers a non-zero
> return as success.  At that point I release the region.  If instead, I
> get a zero return, then I treat that as a failure, and don't release the
> region.
>
> The part I don't understand is why I get the "Trying to free nonexistent
> resource" messages.  Since I am getting an EBUSY, I thought that meant I
> owned the resource, and that I should release it...

I suspect request_region() did actually fail.

> Also, the addresses printed above are a bit strange.  For example, I
> would have thought that instead of
> "<0000000000000000-00000000c0000001>", it would print
> "<00000001c0000000-00000001c0000013>".  Perhaps that is a clue - maybe
> the start and length are not being passed correctly.
>
> One more question.  It appears that if my program crashes, that the
> region will never be released.  So, the normal behavior of an exiting
> process freeing all its resources doesn't seem to be guaranteed.

As a matter of fact, we track all common objects like sema4s, mutexes,
queues, and so on, but not I/O regions. Consider this as an illustration
of our absolute laziness, since we do have the proper infrastructure to
handle I/O regions in the auto-cleanup process too.