On Dec 27, 2007 4:09 PM, Jan Kiszka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:

> >> The only way I see are process-private file descriptor tables +
> >> reference counters for the underlying objects. On fork, the descriptor
> >> table would be cloned and the reference counter of the contained object
> >> would be incremented, creating another reference to them. Or should we
> >> rather re-open those objects, creating another instance?
> >
> > That is essentially the two alternatives I propose.
> >
> > The problem when cloning the file descriptor table is that if there is
> > an xnholder_t (or something similar) in a file descriptor object, the
> > file descriptor can only be linked to one table.
>
> Hmm, where is there difference between this cloning and "normal"
> multi-threaded usage? The only difference I see is that there are now
> two separated address spaces from the user perspective. But for the
> kernel, it stays the same.

If there are two ppds, there are two lists (or hash table, or whatever
data structure). So, we now have an object, with only one xnholder_t
(or list_head) that must be in two lists. This does not work.

> > The problem of re-opening the objects is that the user-space
> > references to the re-opened object should be updated. It is impossible
> > for a file descriptor.
>
> The only user space reference is the file descriptor - an index. And as
> this index stays the same across the fork, I don't see the problem.

The user-space file descriptor is __rtdm_fd_start + kernel-space file
descriptor. If you re-open an object, you will obtain a new
kernel-space file descriptor, and hence a different user-space file
descriptor. So, no, the index will not stay the same across the fork.

--
                                               Gilles Chanteperdrix