Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>  >
>  > Hi Philippe,
>  >
>  > here comes a new patch on the theme "reworking self deletion". This
>  > time, execution of nkpod delete hooks is made before the context switch
>  > whereas finalizing the thread takes place after the context
>  > switch. Special care has been taken to call xnfreesync before we run the
>  > hooks, in order to avoid freeing the thread control block before the
>  > finalization, and xnheap_t::idleq was made a per-cpu thing for the same
>  > purpose.
>  >
>  > I made a simple watchdog test with all debugs enabled, and
>  > xnshadow_unmap did not complain.
>  >
>  > If you are OK with this patch, I will rebase the unlocked context switch
>  > patch on it.
>
> Thinking a bit more about the unlocked context switch case: do we
> tolerate that an ISR may delete a thread that is not current ? Because
> if an ISR deleted a non current thread, we would not run the hooks over
> the deleted thread context, so we would be again in the case where
> xnshadow_unmap is not run by current. Besides, at first sight, it seems
> to simplify greatly the case of the unlocked context switch.

No we don't; thread deletion is normally a service callable from thread
context only. We allow the watchdog code to call into
xnpod_delete_thread() as an exception, because we have no other mean to
fix the runaway situation properly, and we know that this will work
precisely because the deleted thread is current.

Any other situation would lockup, because the termination signal would
never make it to the runaway thread since Linux is starved from CPU at
that point, and we can't even relax the thread either. So, yes, we may
safely assume that thread deletion is either called from a thread, or
called on behalf of an ISR for the preempted thread only (and solely for
internal code and well-know situations).