Jan Kiszka wrote:
 > Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > after some tests, bug fixes and optimizations, here comes a second version
 > > of
 > > the patch-set adding select support to xenomai posix skin.
 > >

 > Puh, a lot of code, and my brain is still full of KGDB stuff I'm trying
 > to polish for mainline since days.
 >
 > The approach looks consistent to me. I would just suggest to make the
 > whole thing configurable, so that it doesn't add overhead to systems
 > which do not use it.

The core support does not take that much code. The RTDM patch however is
huge, that is because we duplicate each rtdm_event and rtdm_sem service
for the select-enabled objects. What would you think of adding select
support to the rtdm_event and rtdm_sem objects without creating the new
rtdm_select_event_t and rtdm_select_sem_t objects if the whole select
support was configurable ? That is if select support is not selected,
RTDM is as before, if select is enabled, rtdm_event_t and rtdm_sem_t
objects may be used with select.

 > Out of curiosity: Did you already have a chance to compare a
 > multi-threaded demo application with one based on these new select services?

We compared two standard Linux applications, one using select, the other
being threaded, and there is no question: the select based scales much
better. But as usual, it was on low end ARM hardware.

 > I guess your current test cases are built on top of RTnet, aren't they?
 > Would be nice, also for regression testing, to have some demo for
 > /examples, e.g. exploiting the CAN stack (because it has virtual CAN,
 > thus it is usable without hardware).

Ok, will probably do that.

--

                                            Gilles Chanteperdrix.