Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
 > Tomas Kalibera wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Hi,
 >  >
 >  > I'm getting kernel crashes with my native skin user-space Xenomai
 >  > application. It looks like the crash happens after clone/fork. I'm using
 >  > kernel 2.6.24.3, SMP, RT_PREEMPT (settings like  2.6.22-14-rt from
 >  > Ubuntu 7.10). Xenomai 2.4.2.
 >  >
 >  > The thread causing the crash is a Xenomai task, running most of the time
 >  > in the Linux domain. The application is very huge, getting a short
 >  > example leading to the bug is unfortunatelly not realistic.
 >  >
 >  > The crash happens when running on real hardware (x86_64 with 32 bit
 >  > kernel and applications).  The system is unusable after it happens, can
 >  > only be rebooted, the dump is from serial console.
 >  > In VMWare on another x86_64 machine, it does not crash.
 >  >
 >  > Anyone getting a similar error ? Any ideas where to look for the problem ?
 >
 > Looking at the kernel code, it seems that only one page may be mapped at
 > a time with kmap_atomic using KM_USER0. So what probably happens is that
 > for other invocations of cow_user_page than the one taking place in
 > fork, a lock of some kind prevents concurrent invocation of
 > cow_user_page. In our use of cow_user_page, we probably do not hold that
 > lock. I look at the code, I see that copy_pte_range holds a spinlock,
 > which should disable preemption on a classical kernel. But who knows
 > what happens with RT_PREEMPT enabled...

There is something strange... Normally, when compiling with
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT, kmap_atomic_prot is replaced with kmap and the real
kmap_atomic_prot is renamd __kmap_atomic_prot. Since cow_user_page uses
kmap_atomic_prot, kmap is in fact called and kmap_atomic_prot BUG_ON
condition should in fact never occur.