Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>>> My approach sucks: we get a silly atomic_cmpxchg if the mutex is already
>>> claimed, which is as least as much a common case as a currently
>>> unclaimed mutex. Need to think a bit. But I think a good solution is to
>>> re-read only if the mutex has been seen as already claimed.
>> That makes no difference as then we will go through the cmpxchg path anyway.
>>
>> There is _no_ way around re-reading under nklock, all we can avoid is
>> atomic cmpxchg in the case of >1 waiters. But that would come at the
>> price of more complexity for all waiter.
>>
>> However, let's find some solution. I bet things will look different
>> again when we start fiddling with a generic lock + the additional bit to
>> replace XNWAKEN.
>
> What I meant is that if the claimed bit is already set, we can avoid the
> cmpxchg altogether, which was the intent of the original code. So I propose
> the following version:
>
>       if(test_claimed(owner))
>               owner = xnarch_atomic_intptr_get(mutex->owner);

This version lacks a test for owner == 0 here, otherwise you re-create
my old bug that bite me today.

>       while(!test_claimed(owner)) {
>               old = xnarch_atomic_intptr_cmpxchg(mutex->owner,
>                                                  owner, set_claimed(owner,
> 1));
>               if (likely(old == owner))
>                       break;
>               if (old == NULL) {
>                       /* Owner called fast mutex_unlock
>                          (on another cpu) */
>                       xnlock_put_irqrestore(&nklock, s);
>                       goto retry_lock;
>               }
>               owner = old;
>       }
>
> The compiler rearranges things correctly (at least on ARM), and avoids the
> redundant test.

My latest concern remains: Is all this additional complexity, are all
these conditional branches and the text size increase worth the effort?
How much cycles or micoseconds would be gain on the most suffering
architecture?