Hi,

looking into the "xeno_in_primary_mode" thing I wondered how to make the
thread state quickly retrievable. Going via pthread_getspecific as we do
for xeno_get_current appears logical - but not optimal. Though
getspecific is optimized for speed, it remains a function call, a few
sanity checks, and only finally a TLS variable access. That could be
achieved in a much lighter way by using a __thread variable.

But can we assume that all target we support also support the __thread
storage class? TLS is surely mandatory now: I assume pthread_getspecific
would become non-RT safe without it, right? Is there anything we
can/must check for during configure to verify __thread support?