Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Philippe Gerum wrote:
>> Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>> Debugging is not the holy, exclusive business of Xenomai hackers.
>>>
>>> The inquire services are useful in libraries as well, when you want to
>>> check if the caller complies to the call convention ("don't use in
>>> primary mode", "caller's priority must not exceed X" or whatever).
>>>
>>> That said, I'm open for unifying the code, maybe introducing some
>>> xnthread_inquire.
>>>
>> That would be much better than publishing an open interface to fiddle even
>> more
>> with thread modes via rt_task_set_mode(). I would definitely merge that.
>
> Code refactoring is no problem, will work that out. I just want to keep
> the user interface.

Looking into this, I come to the conclusion that xnthread_inquire is
only then a gain if both rt_task_inquire and pthread_inquire_np use the
same data structure layout. And that means that both need to use the
same time encodings, not struct timespec vs. RTIME like it is now. That
would not be beautiful, but feasible (e.g. picking __u64 as type,
passing nanoseconds). Still, it does not yet convince me.