Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> I see that the implementation of rthal_llmulshft seems to account for
> the first argument sign. Does it work ? Namely, in the generic
> implementation will __rthal_u96shift propagate the sign bit ?

Yes, this works (given there is no overflow, of course). If you consider
a high word of 0xfffffff0 and a (right) shift of 8, we effectively cut
off all the leading 1s: high << (32-8) = 0xf0000000. But this only works
because we replace a right shift with a left shift (plus some OR'ing
later on). If we had to do a real right shift, we would also have to
take signed vs. unsigned into account (ie. shift in zeros or the sign
bit from the left?).

> If yes, do you see a way llimd could be made to work the same way ? This
> way we would avoid inline ullimd twice in llimd code.

As the basic building block here is a multiplication, we cannot get
around telling apart signed from unsigned (or converting signed into
unsigned): the underlying multiplication logic is different.

But what about this approach:

static inline __attribute__((__const__)) long long
__rthal_generic_llimd (long long op, unsigned m, unsigned d)
{
        int signed = 0;
        long long ret;

        if (op < 0LL) {
                op = -op;
                signed = 1;
        }
        ret = __rthal_generic_ullimd(op, m, d);
        return signed ? -ret : ret;
}

However, I guess writing this in assembly for archs that suffer should
be more efficient.