Alexis Berlemont wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> That was the reason why, I was really suprised to find Comedi
>>> integrated into the mainline kernel. What strikes me more is that
>>> Comedi seems to be left as is. Do you think, it will be cleaned up or
>>> reworked ?
>> Without rework Comedi will not make into mainline (I wouldn't call the
>> staging corner "mainline"). And when reading this
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/793476, it is probably the
>> best time now to propose interface changes and contribute back
>> improvements made for the RTDM rework.
>
> How would you proceed ? Maybe, the first step would be to ask on the
> Comedi mailing-list if someone is interested in discussing on the API
> rework. Maybe, someone will answer this time.
If it is more informative than the mail from 06-04-09 and the presentation.txt
there is definitely a chance :-), I read through it then, found the goals
reasonably sound, and nothing to test, so I waited for some working code to show
up (having too much at my hands already), that time might have come now.

Features I would like to see in a Comedi/RTDM framework are:

1. Drivers should work in Linux, Xenomai (and possibly RTAI and/or RT-Linux)
2. It should be possible to write drivers that live in user-space (serial2002
driver is a big HACK).
3. Stackable drivers (e.g. put a force sensor driver on top of a analog input
card).
4. A comedilib compatibilty library would be nice (but not necessary)

If all these pieces are in place, I'm more than happy to test/migrate the
drivers I use in my labs (JR3, NI M6221, DaqBoard 2000, ACPI 3106, serial)

Best regards

Anders Blomdell

--
Anders Blomdell                  Email: anders.blomd...@control.lth.se