>> Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> That would make 22K. The problem is that the management overhead is
>>> rounded up to another full page, requiring a 8K allocation per 4K
>>> request.
>> Nope. An individual 4k request is going to pull 8 x 512 bytes pages from the
>> stack pool, not more.
>
> Yeah, I see. The only "overhead" here was already paid via the pagemap.
>
>>  Reminds me of TLSF - if I only had the time... :)
>>
>> It looks like working properly for -solo.
>
> I think to remember your concerns were more about missing fragmentation,
> size overhead and performance comparisons. A working version for
> standard Xenomai was already available at that time (maybe not for all
> archs, but that is surely quickly fixed).

Locking and init fixes went to TLSF 2.4.4 in the recent months, so we would have
needed those anyway. It's quite late to merge TLSF in Xenomai 2.5, but I would
have no objection to make it the base allocator of the 3.x series. We would have
to extend it with:

- support for a few callouts, such as the validity checking function used in
xnhead_test_and_free(),
- shared memory export (this is quite allocator agnostic in fact)
- detailed error codes in xnheap_test_and_free/xnheap_free