Am Friday 27 March 2009 16:46:12 schrieb Gilles Chanteperdrix:
> Peter Wächtler wrote:
> >> As a side note, I have a question for the automotive industry people.
> >> Would there be an interest in developing an OSEK skin for Xenomai? I
> >> have been thinking about that for some time, but still have not found
> >> time to start the job. I have read the OSEK spec, and found the
> >> interface pretty simple (though some part of the job has to be done
> >> offline, and annoyingly need to read XML files). The OSEK com spec, on
> >> the other hand, looks rather scary.
> >
> > There are open source OSEK implementations. AFAIK, all far from
> > completeness.
> >
> > You can start with
> > http://opensek.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > or have a look at the list at
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSEK
>
> My question is: would you, people working for the automotive industry,
> use it. Do you need this, or is OSEK dead and people are using POSIX.

Can't answer with yes or no.
OSEK is in use today and will be used for several years.
AUTOSAR is a new aproach for providing a framework for easier reuse/relocation
of functionality.
And POSIX is used whereever Linux or QNX is involved (mediaplayers,navigation
with file access)

The problem with using a newly open source OSEK implementation is risk and
trust and level of testing/validation and TOOLS and CAN stack support.

I think it's very late - but this depends on quality of implementation. OSEK
is for the "smaller" control units. I guess we will have "smaller" ECUs in
our new cars for the next 10 years.
But on the other hand a manufacturer like Volkswagen has chosen Vector osCAN
as OSEK implementation. I doubt that they will change that for no good
reason. Royalties are rather low and the emphasize is TOOLS and CAN support.

        Peter