On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 17:17 +0100, Peter Wächtler wrote:

> > > There are open source OSEK implementations. AFAIK, all far from
> > > completeness.
> > >
> > > You can start with
> > > http://opensek.sourceforge.net/
> > >
> > > or have a look at the list at
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSEK
> >
> > My question is: would you, people working for the automotive industry,
> > use it. Do you need this, or is OSEK dead and people are using POSIX.
>
> Can't answer with yes or no.
> OSEK is in use today and will be used for several years.
> AUTOSAR is a new aproach for providing a framework for easier
> reuse/relocation
> of functionality.
> And POSIX is used whereever Linux or QNX is involved (mediaplayers,navigation
> with file access)
>
> The problem with using a newly open source OSEK implementation is risk and
> trust and level of testing/validation and TOOLS and CAN stack support.

If I understand correctly what Gilles had in mind, the intended usage
would not be actual embedding, but rather provide a host-based
development environment that is OSEK-aware, on top of which one could
write most of an arch-independant application, use the productivity
tools and rich debug tools available there to work out the issues and
validate it, before moving the code to the actual control units for
finalization, this time on a real, certified OSEK-compliant core.

A bit like having arinc653 on a linux-based system: this won't be
certified before hell freezes, this won't actually be embedded in any
flight control system, but this allows accurate simulation provided the
APEX is properly implemented, and makes the initial stages of the
implementation way easier then banging one's head on the target
directly.