Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 12:17 +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> Philippe Gerum wrote:

>>> What bothers me is that we would duplicate what the kernel does in
>>> do_signal() for most architectures, and go through many hops from the
>> Maybe we can re-use the linux kernel code? Maybe we can even make that
>> code platform independent and put it in the nucleus, using the xnregs*
>> macros, and maybe adding some more to alter the pt_regs structure to
>> cause the return to user-space to pass by the callback, and to be able
>> to push some data on the stack, imposing the need of a syscall to
>> restore context.
>>

> Quite frankly, I doubt of it. That part of the Linux code is often
> hairy, touchy, platform and context dependent, so AFAICS, maintaining
> this sort of merge over time with different kernel releases over
> multiple archs would end up in a living nightmare.

The thing which is goddam platform dependent is the way pt_regs are
mapped to a structure passed as third argument to the posix signals with
the SA_SIGINFO flag. But in our case, this is something we will have to
cope with in the POSIX skin. Or completely forget about (I agree signals
are needed for the proper operation of posix timers, but this feature is
not really useful in a real-time application).

Other than that, what we are talking about is just altering pt_regs::pc
and xnregs_arg1(pt_regs), then push some data on the stack (so
xncopy_to_user and altering pt_regs::sp). And adding a core skin syscall
for the way back.

Besides, the problem with your approach is that we can not pass data
between kernel and user. And this is required for the posix skin, at
least. And if we want a generic way to pass arguments to the user-space
callback (I mean, even in the case of the native skin switch hook, you
have to pass the ids of the switched tasks).

--
                                          Gilles