Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> Right now this sounds like a plan - but I don't feel 100% comfortable to
>>> predict that we will get along with it. Converting some skin-specific
>>> service to a generic one involves quite a lot of refactoring. It is not
>>> really unlikely that we define some ABI now that will later turn out to
>>> be insufficient for what we want to achieve.
>> For the posix skin, I can live with a two hops solution right now, and
>> implement the one-hop solution later.
>>
>> user-space fd
>>       | core skin fd table
>> kernel-space fd
>>       | posix skin registry
>> actual object
>>
>> If we do this, there is not much re-factoring involved.
>>
>> The question really boils down to whether you accept this solution for
>> the rtdm skin too.
>
> Let me check if I got the idea: the first change would only modify the
> librtdm and the rtdm part of libpthread_rt, right?

The idea was to also modify the kernel-space skins. Only make it
superficial: only modify the part which communicates the file
descriptors to user-space, to include a lookup through the fd table.

So, this means that when a user-space applications calls read() for
instance, the fd table is used to get the kernel-space RTDM descriptor,
and then the internal functions of the RTDM skin, go through their own
lookup mechanim to get the actual object.

So, there are two lookups, that is the two hops I was talking about. I
was worried that you would not like the impact on performance.

--
                                            Gilles.