On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 02:23:39PM +0100, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> This issue has been discussed several times, but never a lot. We have a
> simple solution: starting with 2.4 (if I remember correctly) xenomai
> provides clock_settime, so you can simply rely on clock_gettime, and
> call clock_settime from time to time to resync the Xenomai clock with
> Linux NTP-enhanced clock. This is not pretty, you get a drift increasing
> over time, then suddenly been reset. But I guess this has been enough
> for current users, until now. You control the maximum drift by how often
> you call clock_settime.

Well, it looks like I will need to use this method, too, until the
"real" solution comes along. But that leaves me with more questions:

1. My program is written using the native skin, and I need to time
stamp some data while in primary mode. Can I safely call the posix
skin's clock_gettime() function from my native thread?

2. I will need a non-critical thread to go the gettimeofday() -
clock_settime() adjustment hack once in a while. Can I safely start a
both a posix skin thread and a native thread from the same main
program?

Thanks,
Richard