>>> BTW, what speaks against making it a dynamic library?
>> Complications. Currently the way of linking a native application is to do:
>>
>> `xeno-config --ldflags` -lnative
>>
>> Since when linking, the order matter, we can not hide this new library
>> in xeno-config --ldflags, so we would have to turn this into:
>>
>> `xeno-config --ldflags` -lnative -lxeno-common
>>
>> i.e. breaking user way of building applications. I do not think the gain
>> is worth the trouble: linking against only one xenomai library looks to
>> me like the most common case.
>
> What would break when swapping -lnative and -xeno-common arbitrarily?

If you are linking with static libraries (which is the case that
matters), the linker would skip all objects from xeno-common completely
since none of their symbols are required, then fail after libnative
because of missing symbols (defined in libxeno_common).

> There is a _lot_ of cleanup potential. E.g. all that redundant __real
> wrappers are good candidates for libxeno-common.

Thanks to the wrap-link.sh script, the __real wrappers are no longer
required. Besides, they are only needed for the posix skin, so there is
no need to put them in libxeno-common. This is something which needs to
be fixed too.

>>> It has to. For the same reason, we should be able to clean up
>>> skins/common/current.c now.
>> I am not that confident about that change. By using the weak directive,
>> we make sure that the same __thread variable is used for instance. If we
>> do not do that, what prevents the code from using the local symbols in
>> each library ? IOW, removing the duplicate could work for libxeno_common
>> symbols when invoked externally (which probably almost never happens),
>> but not inside the skin libraries. I do not know about that, which is
>> why I kept the weak declarations.
>
> Mixing weak functions with non-weak variables can cause troubles as
> well. Sticking our head into the sand is no good approach, understanding
> the requirements for weak or not is better - and eliminating weak would
> be best.

Yes, all non static variables must be made weak. But this should already
be the case in libxeno_common.

Using the weak attribute is the best approach. Having symbols multiply
defined is a bad idea and not "standard compliant". The problem is not
to understand what happens with one instance of a toolchain, the problem
is to know whether the behaviour is the same on all the toolchains of
all the seven architectures supported by Xenomai. The --wrap directive
proved that not all versions of all toolchains on all platforms are equal.

The only alternative I would accept is a guaranteed portable ld
directive that would make all the symbols of the library automagically weak.