On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 14:13 +0100, Stefan Kisdaroczi wrote:
> Am 24.02.2010 14:13, schrieb Philippe Gerum:

> >> Ok, I thought your patch set was based on my tree, so I did not check
> >> thoroughly. I did not send any pull request to Gilles, so no harm done.

> >> We need some fixage in scripts/wrappers/Makefile.am to do that. I'll
> >> prepare this asap.
> >
> > scripts/Makefile.am...
>
> Hi Philippe,
>
> I just tried the --with-testdir switch. It worked, but i'm not really sure if
> this is the right track.
>
> Roland's packages install all binaries to /usr/lib/xenomai, except xeno and
> xeno-config. You state in your commit message more or less the same goal:
> "At some point, all remaining executables or scripts left under $prefix/bin
> should match
> xeno*, to further reduce the odds of causing name collisions."
>
> Using --with-testdir all tests (latency,switchtest,...) are now in
> /usr/lib/xenomai.
> To install the "utils" (rtcansend,insn_write,insn_write,cmd_read,...) to the
> same
> directory using --with-testdir sounds not obviously. You could add a second
> switch
> --with-utildir, but a second dir will not work for the xeno-wrapper-script.

CAN and other utilities should definitely remain in $bindir. The fact
that they are not prefixed by xeno* is another thing; CAN utilities are
already prefixed, maybe Analogy ones should be named in a bit less
generic way, although they are not raising any conflict today. I wrote
that what's under $bindir "should" match xeno* when a risk of collision
exists, but there is no point in enforcing a stricter rule at this
point. In any case, I don't want to enforce a never-in-bindir rule for
all Xenomai binaries, we can still pick their names in a way that avoids
obvious issues.

The real problem was about tests, for which using rather generic names
made sense. This is what that patch is for.