On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 18:14 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Philippe Gerum wrote:

> > Well, actually, I would not merge this in Xenomai 3. I find this rather
> > overkill; mainline first I mean, and mainline, i.e. the Xenomai code
> > base only requires a simple and straightforward way to get debug
> > switches right. Having to make Kconfig a kitchen sink for some unknown
> > out of tree modules to be happy is not really my preferred approach in
> > this particular case.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a more decentralized approach on
> > the paper, it's just that I only care about the mainline tree here.
>
> The point is not out-of-tree but robustness. Neither the current
> decentralized #ifdef-#define nor its centralized brother meet this
> criteria. An approach like the above which forces you to provide all
> required bits before any of the cases (disabled/enabled) starts to work
> does so.

Flexibility and robustness have to be combined. Explicit declaration in
Kconfig is against flexibility, because this is one external thing more
to take care of, for adding something as simple as a debug switch. So if
decentralized is not important to you, then let's stop discussing about
this, and find a centralized way that includes robustness, to avoid
untested paths. IIRC, this was precisely the essence of Gilles's initial
proposal.