Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 19:09 +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> Did you already have a chance to look into this series?
>> Not yet, that is a big series. With a high potential for kernel crashes,
>> memory leaks and other things like that. I am trying to find a way to
>> test it. Maybe we can try and run it with kmemcheck?
>>

> Looking at this series, I eventually made my mind about the kind of
> support I'd wish in this area. It boils down to:
>
> - getting rid of the PAGE_SIZE limitation on read as this series does,
> - reducing the impact on latency of large outputs,
> - hiding discrepancies between linux kernel
> releases, regarding the proper way to export kernel object states
> to userland (like the planned deprecation of read procs).
> - providing a common encapsulation to do that, which brings all the
> previous properties in a normalized way, and helps removing direct
> dependencies of other core code on PROC_FS
> - rebasing the registry support on top of this feature, so that skins
> are automatically feature-enabled when going through the registry to
> export stuff to userland (as they should).
>
> To this end, I came up with the so-called "virtual file" (aka vfile)
> support for the nucleus, and have toyed with those ideas here:
> git://git.xenomai.org/xenomai-rpm.git queue/vfile
>
> This is still early work in progress, not all the codebase was converted
> to use the vfiles (registry and native API were), and I tested the
> result only in a very limited manner; so this is not for inclusion into
> 2.5.x given the amount of code that touches anyway. But I will likely
> submit this for inclusion at some point into any upcoming 2.6.x, if
> vfiles turn out to fit the job.

Looks good on first sight to simplify all our revision-based list walks
(and those that should better work like that). To make it a universal
abstraction for /proc/xenomai (or what ever it will be in the future), I
think just a bit more flexibility is required.

Specifically, we a way to modify the locking and data acquisition
strategy. We have nodes that do not require any locking at all but still
want to use the seq_file pattern. And we have some nodes that use
different locks, including Linux semaphores/mutexes. I think if you
allow to specify the lock to be used and its type (xnlock or Linux mutex
- BTW, a good chance to wrap away semaphores for legacy kernels), all
required use cases should be covered:
 - xnlock -> revision-based ahead-of-print data acquisition
 - Linux mutex -> simply hold the lock while printing
 - NULL -> provide lockless seq_file printing