Dear Gilles,

I noticed that "git describe" does not provide helpful information for
the Xenomai repository.

For the current code (tagged as v2.5.4) I still get:

        -> git describe
        v2.5.1-349-gf8fa381

Only with the "--tags" option I get the expected result:

        -> git describe --tags
        v2.5.4

The behaviour changes from version to version:

        -> git describe v2.5.0
        fatal: No annotated tags can describe
'fddf7831dc53cce70b7196314cbd0b3aec028350'.
        However, there were unannotated tags: try --tags.
        -> git describe v2.5.1
        v2.5.1
        -> git describe v2.5.2
        v2.5.1-142-g6b3e8f2
        -> git describe v2.5.3
        v2.5.1-232-g55bf2d3
        -> git describe v2.5.4
        v2.5.1-349-gf8fa381

My recommendation is to always annotate release tags to avoid such
confusion.  Thanks.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: w...@denx.de
NOTE: The  Most  Fundamental  Particles  in  This  Product  Are  Held
Together  by  a  "Gluing" Force About Which Little is Currently Known
and Whose Adhesive Power Can Therefore Not Be Permanently Guaranteed.