Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Gilles,
>
> I noticed that "git describe" does not provide helpful information for
> the Xenomai repository.
>
> For the current code (tagged as v2.5.4) I still get:
>
>       -> git describe
>       v2.5.1-349-gf8fa381
>
> Only with the "--tags" option I get the expected result:
>
>       -> git describe --tags
>       v2.5.4
>
> The behaviour changes from version to version:
>
>       -> git describe v2.5.0
>       fatal: No annotated tags can describe
> 'fddf7831dc53cce70b7196314cbd0b3aec028350'.
>       However, there were unannotated tags: try --tags.
>       -> git describe v2.5.1
>       v2.5.1
>       -> git describe v2.5.2
>       v2.5.1-142-g6b3e8f2
>       -> git describe v2.5.3
>       v2.5.1-232-g55bf2d3
>       -> git describe v2.5.4
>       v2.5.1-349-gf8fa381
>

> My recommendation is to always annotate release tags to avoid such
> confusion.  Thanks.

Ok. I annotated 2.5.1 and asked Philippe about it, he told me that he
never annotated 2.4 releases, so I stopped annotating them. In fact
annotating 2.5.1 was the real mistake, but I guess you are right, I
should annotate all of them. Can we change the annotation afterwards?

Anyway, thanks for the remark. If you wonder why I pushed 2.5.4 and did
not announced it, the announce will come tonight.