> Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 21:12:36 +0200
> From: gilles.chanteperd...@xenomai.org
> To: gm...@reliableembeddedsystems.com
> CC: xenomai-core@gna.org
> Subject: Re: [Xenomai-core] Tiny Core Linux + xenomai/RTAI
>
> Robert Berger wrote:
> > Hi Gilles,
> >
> > On 04/05/2011 08:17 PM, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> >> Ok, we are on Xenomai-core, so, let us discuss. If we admit that the OP
> >> is indeed talking about latencies (a quantifiable measure of
> >> determinism), suggesting that the effect on cache of the Linux kernel
> >> might influence the latencies is not completely irrelevant: the
> >> benchmark we make with Xenomai tend to consistently show that cache
> >> thrashing by the Linux kernel has an effect on latencies.
> >
> > Yes this did not immediately come into my mind. Linux cache thrashing
> > affects latencies of threads running under Xenomai (user and/or kernel
> > space), but as you point out (
> > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.real-time.xenomai.devel/8167 )
> > that is distro independent.
>
> Yes, and I completely agree with your answer, I was just replying for
> the sake of completeness.

Thanks for replying. I got to read important points that affect the performance
of a realtime system. I was indeed talking about the determinism of the RTOS
when i referred to the performance. I am right now looking at interrupt
determinism, task switch latency and jitter performance of the RTOS
[Xenomai in this case]on x86 platform. Since there is no Cache locking
mechanism on x86. i wanted to know if a smaller footprint kernel would
improve the performance of the above mentioned parameters of RTOS.