On 06/23/2011 01:36 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2011-06-23 13:29, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:

>>> Problematic is the dereferencing of the stale buffer pointer obtained
>>> during the last cmpxchg or via buf_pool_get. This happens before the new
>>> cmpxchg.
>>
>> Ok. Got it, that would be a problem only if the stale pointer pointed to
>> an unmapped area, but ok, better avoid freeing the buffers. I guess it
>> would not be a problem as applications tend to have a fixed number of
>> threads anyway.
>
> That is a risky assumption, proven wrong e.g. by one of our
> applications. Threads may always be created or destroyed depending on
> the mode of an application, specifically if it is a larger one.

The situation which would be problematic is to create many threads at
once, which use printf, then continues to run with just a few threads.
In that case, we would have many unfreed buffers. But as long as the
application creates and destroy threads over the time, the pool will
simply keep the buffers until next use.