On 12/29/2011 01:04 PM, Jan-Erik Lange wrote:
Hello,
I'm new in the topic about the Xenomai co-kernel approach and I have
some questions to the primary mode and secondary mode.

I have trouble with the imagination of the fact in general, that one
task (process oder thread) can be processed by two kernels (Xenomai
nucleus and standard kernel), and treated by the one in real time and by
the other in non real-time.

1. So far I understood this approach, the primary and secondary mode is
an abstract description of the fact, that threads or processes can be
scheduled by the Xenomai nucleus or by the standard Linux kernel
scheduler. Is this correct?

Yes. A Xenomai thread in user-space is attached a "shadow" control area in addition to the regular linux context data, which enables both linux and the nucleus to schedule it in a mutually exclusive manner.

2. Now supose, that I have chosen the VxWork-skin and I started a task
in the primary mode. Is it correct that when this task is calling a non
VxWork-API-funtion, there will a change of the context from primary to
the secondary mode? Or what is the exact condition of the switching of
the context?

- invoking a regular linux syscall
- receiving a linux signal (e.g. kill(2) and GDB)
- causing a CPU trap (e.g. invalid memory access), hitting a breakpoint (e.g. GDB)

all these situations cause the switch from primary to secondary mode. We say that such thread "relaxes" in Xenomai parlance.

A common caveat is to call a glibc routine, which eventually issues a linux syscall under the hood. Think of malloc() detecting a process memory shortage, which then calls mmap or sbrk to extend the process data. Or, running into a mutex contention once in a while, forcing the calling thread to issue a syscall for sleeping on the mutex. Fortunately, we have a tool to detect these situations.

It would be very nice, if you could tell me a little bit about these
questions?

Best regards