Saul wrote:
 > >  > > I thought SMI was supposed to increase latencies, but I only see
 > >  > > latencies < 60us at any load, unless I start video capture. Does
 > >  > > the latency test absolutely rule out SMI as the cause?
 > >  >
 > >  > Not really, e.g. if the video capture device is USB-attached, then
 > >  > SMI could possibly remain in the picture.
 > >
 > > I have used the bttv driver with xawtv or mythtv and nvidia
 > > proprietary drivers on a dual pIII machine running latency and the
 > > maximum latency was far less than 100 us. What produces large spots,
 > > however, is switching virtual terminals or changing resolution.
 > > Doesn't xawtv change resolution for full screen mode ? Did not you use
 > > the 768x576 modeline hack ?
 >

 > The video capture is not USB, it's a PCI card. Since I don't see poor
 > latencies I'm guessing my problem is *not* SMI related.

The latencies above 100us that you observe when starting video capture
are abnormal. I was suggesting that these latencies are not due to video
capture but to the fact that xawtv change resolution. Big latencies
when switching virtual terminal are a well-known issue, not related to
SMI. So my question was: is xawtv configured on your machine to change
resolution when starting capture ?

--

                                            Gilles Chanteperdrix.