Hi,

I am trying to see why a trivial driver reading an ADC on an EP9312 ARM board has slowed by a factor of three. Since I installed it under 2.6.29 a couple fo years ago.

It's looking like this is due to a kernel update I did in the mean time to 2.6.32

I have just built a new toolchain and rebuilt the kernel to 2.6.33 and the result is about the same.

I recall a number of years ago running a 2.6.11 kernel and the system was incredibily responsive. I could be building kde-libs, downloading at full speed browsing and listening to mp3 decoded music all without the slightest lack of responsiveness in the browser not a glitch in the mp3 playback.

It was truly impressive.

Now I find if I am rebuilding the toolchain , the browser or any other window can take over a second to respond to a redraw ( 2.6.32 on this machine).

Now I've seen comments on audio forums that there was nothing better than linux 2.6.11 for real time audio work. I'm wondering whether there is not a general degradation in the linux kernel as time goes on. It certainly seems to be getting forever bigger and slower.

Would there be any value in trying to rebuild a 2.6.11 based system for realtime work ?

TIA,