On 12/17/2013 12:19 PM, Michael Haberler wrote:
we're considering how to package LinuxCNC such that it can eventually
be included in debian

the core package will support RT-PREEMPT because an RT-PREEMPT kernel
is available stock in debian; the other RT kernels will be covered by
separate packages (Xenomai, RTAI).

so far we've used the xenomai userland support straight off the git
repo, but it might make sense to switch to
http://packages.debian.org/jessie/xenomai-runtime for one less
external raw repo dependency

question - is this a recommendable route?

(depends a bit on how well the debian package tracks the repo - does
this happen 'occasionally', or per-release?; so far we havent had
major issues with userland support but better ask before relying on
something only loosely maintained)

I think the user-space run-time is not really a problem, Xenomai 2.6 does not need any particular option on configure command line to avoid issues, the defaults are fine for all architectures. Even the Debian project rule files, which passes options which either no longer even exists or are not useful, gets a working build.

What is much harder, and not really already available in the Debian project is to package a kernel compiled with the right options to avoid any issues, and avoid the hassle to all users to have to find out these options by themselves, whereas, at least on x86, we can provide one such Debian-like kernel. I did it for Linux 3.5.7 on xenomai 2.6.2.1, but did not renew the experience with xenomai 2.6.3 because nobody downloaded the .debs. But the "reprepro" directory is still there, so restarting it would be easy.

--
                                            Gilles.