There is more to this than basic performance, easier measurements for
worst-case impact for one.
Also the RTDM part would be merely enabling such different RTNet schemes, not
by default replacing anything,
AFAIK you also have a PACKET_MMAP equivalent in RTDM, while its currently not
available for the network stack.

Norbert.

> [...]
 >>> used in non-blocking mode.
 >>>
 >>> - Hypothetical Proposal
 >>>
 >>> Adding the necessary interfaces to RTDM and RTNet
 >>> to allow non-blocking bulk receive/send, and offering functions not
 >>> unlike the mentioned recvmmsg and sendmmsg.
 >>>
 >>> - Potential issues
 >>>
 >>> Copying of multiple packets would be done in RTDM context, potentially
 >>> blocking resources for each packet or the whole duration.
 >>> For our usecase it would for example not matter if the involved
 >>> ethernet driver instance is not able to handle IRQs during this time,
 >>> but it should not significantly affect worst-case task switch times in
 >>> general, or block reception on other physical interfaces (Ethernet or
 >>> otherwise).
 >>>
 >>> recvmmsg and timeouts (blocking) are likely to be problematic, but
 >>> blocking mode is not required or wanted.
 >>>
 >>> - Open questions to the RTDM maintainers
 >>>
 >>> What would be the requirements of adding similar functionality to
 >>> recvmmsg to RTNet / RTDM,
 >>> and would there be any caveats that would prohibit addition from side
 >>> of the RTDM maintainers?
 >>>
 >>> Other than that, a mmap based approach is also an option, but that's a
 >>> somewhat more involved solution for both kernel and userspace as far
 >>> as I understood.
 >>>
 >>> Kind regards
 >>>
 >>> Norbert Lange
 >>>

 >################################################################
 >#####################
 >>>
 >>> This message and any attachments are solely for the use of the
 >>> intended recipients. They may contain privileged and/or confidential
 >>> information or other information protected from disclosure. If you are
 >>> not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received
 >>> this email in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution
 >>> or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If
 >>> you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and
 >>> delete the message and any attachment from your system.
 >>> Thank You.
 >>>    ANDRITZ HYDRO GmbH
 >>>    Rechtsform/ Legal form: Gesellschaft mit beschr?nkter Haftung /
 >>> Corporation
 >>>    Firmensitz/ Registered seat: Wien
 >>>    Firmenbuchgericht/ Court of registry: Handelsgericht Wien
 >>>    Firmenbuchnummer/ Company registration: FN 61833 g
 >>>    DVR: 0605077
 >>>    UID-Nr.: ATU14756806

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of the intended
recipients. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information or
other information protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error and
that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any
attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your
  Rechtsform/ Legal form: Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung / Corporation