Hi Wolfgang,

On 02/09/2018 06:00 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
In message <20180208145121.7551c...@mmd1pvb1c.ad001.siemens.net> you wrote:
   - usage stats could be extracted from our website, downloads,
     mailinglists

We have to be very careful here.  German law is pretty strict about
what you can (or rather must not) do with such data...

I'm obviously not in a position to provide any sort of legal advice nor would I recommend violating any laws. However, it would probably be worth getting some specifics on this instead of just shying away because of an unspecified potential issue. The point is, it's my understanding that there would be no selling nor advertising of this nor use for any commercial purpose. The only purpose here is to get a better understanding of who is using Xenomai and where they are physically located to plan activities accordingly and provide a more accurate picture to the larger open source community as to the composition of the Xenomai user-base.

    - for now we do not look at that and try to not be nosy

I can't parse that?

    - usage stats could be very useful for users as well
     - get an idea how popular Xenomai is
     - where in the world
     - which versions especially

I doubt this will actually work.  In my experience, there is a
pretty large base of users who intentionally do NOT advertise their
use of Xenomai.

That's a good point. Still, Xenomai has historically suffered from having a primarily "anonymous" user base. Yet, that user base is hampered by the lack of seeming traction given that few are willing to "endorse" the project.

That's the core issue. If no one is going to show public and strong support for this project, it's going to be close to impossible to show the value of the project to the wider open source community, especially the Linux kernel developers. The project's value can only be argued for so long simply based on logical arguments when compared to other approaches.

Cheers,

--
Karim Yaghmour
CEO - Opersys inc. / www.opersys.com