Quoting Greg Gallagher <g...@embeddedgreg.com>:

Tested on zynq zybo and microzed, the demo works. I built it from stable using the 4.14 ipipe-arm repo and modprobed the module at boot. Are you using a module or building it into the kernel?

-Greg

I'm building it into the kernel. Since I'm new to all these I just took an
already working Ubuntu 16.04 with Xenomai 3.0.5 and added to its .config file
the RTIPC option with gconfig. The resulting .config has the following lines:

#
# Real-time IPC drivers
#
CONFIG_XENO_DRIVERS_RTIPC=m
CONFIG_XENO_DRIVERS_RTIPC_XDDP=y
CONFIG_XENO_DRIVERS_RTIPC_IDDP=y
CONFIG_XENO_OPT_IDDP_NRPORT=32
CONFIG_XENO_DRIVERS_RTIPC_BUFP=y
CONFIG_XENO_OPT_BUFP_NRPORT=32

After compiling the new kernel and installing it, if I do modprobe -n -v
xeno_rtipc I get:

insmod /lib/modules/4.9.90/kernel/drivers/xenomai/ipc/xeno_rtipc.ko

So since it seems to be correctly installed I guess it may a problem with
my Makefile, I'm using:

target = xddp-echo
skin = posix
CC := $(shell /usr/xenomai/bin/xeno-config --cc)
CFLAGS := $(shell /usr/xenomai/bin/xeno-config --skin=$(skin) --cflags)
LDFLAGS := $(shell /usr/xenomai/bin/xeno-config --skin=$(skin) --ldflags)
$(target): $(target).c
        $(CC) -o $@ $< $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)
clean:
        @rm $(target)