I've been getting my feet wet with Rust for a few weeks now, assessing
the real-time latency figures I could get from an existing (C++)
application once fully rewritten in this language.  It turned out that
performance was on par with the original implementation with memory
safety on top, among other upsides (like having quite some fun coding in
Rust in the first place).

Having Rust as a Tier 1 language for Xenomai4/evl along with the
existing C interface definitely makes sense to me. The goal would be to
have a 'revl' interface providing the EVL services the idiomatic Rust
way, available as a crate on top of the FFI bindings to libevl which
have just landed [1].

Whether you are a Rustacean or not, if you are willing to discuss and
help with this, let me know.

[1] https://source.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai4/evl-sys.git

--
Philippe.