Am 19.06.2013 um 11:39 schrieb Philip Taylor:

> If I find no more informative replies by the time I am next online,
> I will investigate further and report back.

The fontspec manual describes it. The keywords are rlig, hlig, clig, etc. They
can be (de)activated in plain TeX as in:

        \font\x="Cardo-Regular:script=<whichever>:-mark,+mkmk" at 12pt \x

--
Greetings

  Pete

Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your mind.
        - D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9