Does fontspec load *only* OpenType fonts?

The intro to the fontspec package documentation says
    The fontspec package allows users of either XETEX or
    LuaTEX to load OpenType fonts in a LATEX document.
Does that mean it doesn't load TrueType etc. fonts, even if there are no OpenType versions of those fonts?

Some of the things I've read on-line (like http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/241927/problem-using-ttf-fonts-with-xelatex) seem to imply that fontspec loads ttf fonts just fine. In which case I'll have a different question: how to ensure that it prioritizes OTF fonts over TTF fonts fc-list finds two such fonts.
--
        Mike Maxwell