On 09/05/2017 23:13, Karl Berry wrote:
>     what is the reason for having two .def files here.
>
> I can't imagine an insurmountable technical reason for having two
> independent .def files these days. Indeed, it would seem highly
> desirable to me to merge them, with conditional parts as needed. It sure
> was a pain to be applying changes to both independently, when I was
> the one doing that.

'Yes'

> One of the reasons I was so happy to turn them over
> to you guys :).

Well the ideas originate from the team ... you'll see for expl3 we've
gone back to 'one definite source' as the number of drivers is nowadays
small and predictable.

> As I expect you know, they currently exist separately because of their
> historical development. xetex.def was based on dvipdfmx.def at the time
> of creating XeTeX. And that was reasonable during active XeTeX
> development. And so it has continued to the present day.  But nowadays,
> when dvipdfmx and xdvipdfmx themselves have been (sort of) merged
> (thanks always to Khaled ...), merging the .def files too seems good.

OK, I'll probably work on this but not before TL'17 release: somewhat
risky and not something I'd want to put on the DVD. (I will send the
latest update to CTAN to fix the issue concerning scaling of links.)

Joseph