Hi Phil,

On 26 May 2020, at 5:12 pm, Philip Taylor

Ross Moore wrote:

I’m sorry, but this just doesn’t make any sense to me — but see further below.

No, the fourth couplet is TT, where T is "Transparency".  Unfortunately , it is
a misnomer, since 00 = completely transparent and FE is almost opaque, which is
why I spoke of "opacity" rather than transparency.  Unfortunately FF is not
opaque when preceded by FFFFFF, because the driver treats FFFFFF [FF] specially.

As I said, it didn’t make sense to me.  :-)
Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for my added noise.

First it is important to realise that both flattening and conversion to CMKY
will take place (the document is for digital printing).  When flattening takes
place, RGB FFFFFF text will completely obscure the ground, and after conversion
to CMYK there will then be no ink where the text occurs.  Unfortunately as
things are at the moment, there will be 1/256 bleed-through of the ground
because the RGB white was not perfectly opaque.

"knockout", tho' interesting, should not be needed.  The example earlier sent
shews that one can get very close to 100% white (and of course there are no
white inks involved) but not to 100% and this is what I would like to achieve
(and which should, IMHO, be achievable).  Were it not for the fact that the
driver treats FFFFFF and FFFFFFFF specially, there would be no problem at all
in achieving my aim.

It looks like Akira has done what you wanted, so the exercise was a success. :-)

** Phil.

Cheers.
Stay safe.

Ross

Dr Ross Moore
12 Wally’s Walk, Level 7, Room 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: ross.mo...@mq.edu.au<mailto:ross.mo...@mq.edu.au>
http://www.maths.mq.edu.au
[cid:image001.png@01D030BE.D37A46F0]
CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University. <http://mq.edu.au/>
<http://mq.edu.au/>