On 25/03/2021 10:52, Philip Taylor wrote:
Jonathan Kew wrote:

Indeed, that \showhyphens will not work with native opentype fonts. This is a known difference between using TFM-based vs OT fonts; it's been discussed (and an alternative shown) on the list somewhere in the distant past.

There is code, by Enrico Gregoria, for a replacement \showhypens buried deep in the file "xltxtra.dtx" (attached).  However, the code is completely incomprehensible to me, I have no idea how to convert a .dtx file into anything usable, and I cannot find a plain XeTeX equivalent.
--
/Philip Taylor/

See https://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2014-January/025129.html