Hi Zdenek,

On 11 Jun 2021, at 6:49 am, Zdenek Wagner
<zdenek.wag...@gmail.com<mailto:zdenek.wag...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Yes, it is what I saw in pdflatex as well. Now I see the reason, I have not
read my exiftool output carefully. It says:

X Resolution                    : 25
Y Resolution                    : 7

Yes, that does look a bit weird, doesn’t it.
One would expect it to be the same in both directions, unless specifically
set to be different for a special effect.

Notice that it also says    Resolution Unit: inches .
Surely not!  unless it needs ~100 units for the inch.
Further down there are  Pixel units of meters.
Very strange.

Thanks in advance for any lessons on how to properly read/interpret this info.

So the culprit need not be XeTeX after all.

All the best.

Ross

So, pdftex as well as viewers used by Phil honour the resolution in both
directions and the output is tall. Gwenview, gimp and ocular just honour the
size in pixels. Xelatex probably calculates the dimensions correctly taking
into account X/Y resolutions, generated the commands for PNG inclusion but
xdvipdfmx honours the pixels only, not the resolutions.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml<http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml>

čt 10. 6. 2021 v 22:37 odesílatel Ross Moore