Am Sat, 21 Aug 2021 09:25:14 -0600 (MDT) schrieb Doug McKenna:

> Thanks all for your interesting responses.
>
> Unfortunately, my possibly poorly worded question remains unanswered. Let me
> try again.
>
> Consider the short example just used:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setmainfont{DejaVu Serif}
>
> \begin{document}
> ^^^^fffd
> \end{document}
>
> When I run it, fontspec complains that it can't find the font. So obviously
> "DejaVu Serif" is not installed, either on my system or anywhere in the
> bowels of all the ~150,000 TeXLive (2019) files that have been installed in
> the TDS on my machine.

No, it only says that it is not found by fontname. Something that
happens often on linux. Try with \setmainfont{DejaVuSerif.ttf}

> So, is there a font name I can use in the \setmainfont{} command
> that is ALWAYS available (upon TeX installation) when processing
> this LaTeX file with XeTeX? Or always available after a certain
> version of a TeX installation?

I have no idea when DejaVu was added but it is in texlive 2019.
If you want to support also older systems try e.g. on overleaf.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/