Using XeTeX as my only TeX typesetting engine, I also use only OTF/TTF fonts.  After a faulty copy-and-paste, I found that I had inadvertently written :

\font \fnf = \font \fb "Gill Sans MT" scaled 400
which led to the unexpected diagnostic :

Usage: mktextfm [--destdir destdir] name

! Font \fnf= not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or installed font not found.

<to be read again>

\font

l.441 \font \fnf = \font

\fb "Gill Sans MT" scaled 400

As I /never/ want XeTeX to attempt to create a seemingly-missing TFM file, can I configure XeTeX and/or TeXworks to inhibit this undesired behaviour ?  And for that matter, can I configure XeTeX and/or TeXworks to inhibit any attempt to use TFM-based fonts ?

--
/Philip Taylor/