From: Hussein Shafie [mailto:huss...@xmlmind.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2017 1:40 AM
To: Julie McHam
Cc: xfc-support@xmlmind.com; ditac-supp...@xmlmind.com
Subject: Re: [XFC] Acronyms and Spelled Out Forms Do Not Appear in Output

On 07/15/2017 01:45 AM, Julie McHam wrote:
> I am trying to use DITA to keep track of spelling out acronyms the
> first time used within a topic, and then using the acronym for the
> remainder of the topic. In the Word files generated using the DITA to
> DOCX Transformation with XSL Utility 5.4.5, neither the spelled out
> word or the acronym show up.
>

> Here is a sample of my test glossary file (note that I am only using
> glossary entries for acronyms, not for term definitions):
>

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE glossgroup PUBLIC
> "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Glossary Group//EN"
> "glossgroup.dtd">
> <glossgroup id="acronyms">
>     <title>Acronyms</title>
>       <glossentry id="cde">
>             <glossterm>California Department of Education</glossterm>
>             <glossBody>
>                   <glossSurfaceForm>California Department of Education
> (CDE)</glossSurfaceForm>
>                   <glossAlt>
>                         <glossAcronym>CDE</glossAcronym>
>                   </glossAlt>
>             </glossBody>
>       </glossentry>
> </glossgroup>
>

> Here is what I am coding in my ditamap file:
>

>     <backmatter>
>             <topicref href="common/acronyms.dita" />
>             <booklists>
>                   <indexlist/>
>             </booklists>
>       </backmatter>
>

> Here is a sample of how I am placing the code in my text:

> keyref="cde" />.
>                                         Test: <abbreviated-form
> keyref="abs" />.
>                                        They are the minimum set of
> SACS codes that your district
>                                         <i>must</i> use to report
> accounting detail.
>                                         All required SACS codes are
> available in Galaxy Web.
> </li>
>

> I have also tried several other things, like creating my glossary file
> with just one entry (not a glossgroup) and placing the reference to
> acronyms.dita inside the booklists element, but to no avail.
>

> I have scoured your documentation and forums and cannot locate any
> information that will point me in the right direction. Would you
> please provide a link to your documentation that describes how to do
> this? Or, please explain what I am doing incorrectly.

Without a keydef for key "cde", there is no way to make something keyref="cde"
work.

You need to add something like what follows in your map (directly or
indirectly, that is, group all your keydefs in a separate file and reference
this file from your map):

---
<keydef href="glossgroup.dita#cde" keys="cde"/>
---

Please find attached to this email a complete working example.