Maximilian Schleiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a scris: > Le dimanche 18 novembre 2007 à 01:16 +0200, Mişu Moldovan a écrit : [snip] > > I would like to see these changes in the trunk versions also. The > > patches for the Xfce components were for the 4.4 tree, but I will need > > these improvements in the trunk tree as well in the end. Should I > > prepare another set of patches for the trunk? > > > You sure can port your changes to trunk and create a patch for it though > some strings in trunk might be slightly different or removed. You could > try using the auto translator within poedit and review the result to be > sure it is correct.
Of course some strings from 4.4 are no longer present in trunk, but I'm sure that updates for 4.4 have improvements to strings that are common to 4.4 and trunk (spelling mistakes come to mind). And I'm also positive on the fact that there are no newly translated strings in trunk, compared to the 4.4 branch, nobody else has worked on them. That's why I have tried to ask from the beginning to have my changes applied to trunk as well. Then, there's also the case for new translations (e.g. Mousepad) that are now present in 4.4, but completely missing in trunk... AFAIK, in the GNOME world, people work with PO files and they commit them both in trunk and in the working branch, in that order. I've got used to that and think it's a sane practice to begin with. I certainly don't want to fix the same spelling mistakes twice, once for the current branch and yet again in trunk. I think the system of requesting patches for a certain branch might work against translators. Of course I can check out all PO files from the 4.4 branch, copy them over a checked out trunk, msgmerge them and prepare svn diffs, but I wonder how many of the other translators have bothered. And if they didn't, it's a loss to the project as a whole. Thanks for the attention, -- mişu
pgpY14ewMwYWx.pgp
Description: PGP signature
_______________________________________________ Xfce-i18n mailing list [email protected] http://foo-projects.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce-i18n
