When I run startx on my computer, the entire system locks up. You can't do anything at the console, telnet to it, or even ping it.

I am using XFree86 4.2.0 over Debian Linux release "woody" (kernal rev 2.2.20).

The machine is a 586 series (AMD) with a working Diamond Stealth II 220 card (V2100 chipset). Using either the "rendition" driver (built for V2100) or the "vga" both produce the same result.

Linux can reach the screen without X; "luxman" (a VGA gui Pac-man clone) runs fine.

The Linux system log shows nothing abnormal. The tail of the XFree86.log reads as follows:

(II) UnloadModule: "scanpci"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libscanpci.a
(II) Host-to-PCI bridge:
(II) PCI-to-ISA bridge:
(II) Bus 0: bridge is at (0:0:0), (-1,0,0), BCTRL: 0x08 (VGA_EN is set)
(II) Bus 0 I/O range:
[0] -1 0x00000000 - 0x0000ffff (0x10000) IX[B]
(II) Bus 0 non-prefetchable memory range:
[0] -1 0x00000000 - 0xffffffff (0x0) MX[B]
(II) Bus 0 prefetchable memory range:
[0] -1 0x00000000 - 0xffffffff (0x0) MX[B]
(II) Bus -1: bridge is at (0:7:0), (0,-1,0), BCTRL: 0x08 (VGA_EN is set)
(II) Bus -1 I/O range:
(II) Bus -1 non-prefetchable memory range:
(II) Bus -1 prefetchable memory range:
(--) PCI:*(0:11:0) Rendition Verite 2100/2200 rev 6, Mem @ 0xe0000000/24, 0xe100
0000/18, I/O @ 0x6600/8




And there it stops.

Have others run into this problem?

--Rob



_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to