> On Mit, 2003-01-22 at 14:34, David Brown wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone had any luck getting Xv to work with a Radeon 8500, using
> > XFree86 on Linux 2.4 / PowerPC?
> >
> > I'm able to load the server extension fine; any application that uses Xv
> > looks like it creates a hardware overlay, but the video surface just
> > stays black. The video is being put somewhere, but certainly not on the
> > screen.
>
> I replied to this before (Reply-To: munging considered harmful?):
>
> The problem isn't PPC specific and should be fixed in CVS. Depending on
> what distro you're using there may be working snapshot packages.

It probably is the false monitor detection problem again, happened on some
OEM cards. The driver placed hardware overlay to the CRTC for another port
which doesn't actually have a monitor connected, but driver thinks there is.
Try to connect the monitor to the DVI-I port with a DVI-I to VGA adapter,
see if this makes any difference.

Hui