On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 07:23:54PM -0800, Nathaniel Gray wrote:
> You said:
> """
> I just built 4.2.99.4 from CVS on my Radeon 7500 Mobility laptop.
> Starting X yields a blank display and a locked keyboard.  Attempting to
> kill
> X or shutdown the laptop via ssh results in a complete system lockup.
> """
>
> I had a similar problem (same video card, 4.2.99.4 binary) that was
> caused by a mismatched radeon.o kernel module.  I'm not sure if that's
> what's going wrong for you though.  Building the module from the latest
> DRI CVS sources solved it, but there were other problems:

I made doubly sure that I'm using the radeon.o built from the 4.2.99.4 DRM
sources, so it doesn't seem to be that.

> Out of curiosity, since you also have a 7500 mobility, have you ever
> tried running it dual-head with an external monitor?  I'm trying to
> make that happen and having problems:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/xfree86@xfree86.org/msg00947.html

I've attached my XF86Config-4 with working Xinerama layout.  To test this, do:
startx -- -layout "XineramaLayout"
This creates two 800x600 screens that are "overlayed", but you can obviously
change that.  I used it for presentations on projectors before CloneMode was
available.

Thanks for answering,
Charl