I was trying to upgrade my PC to get decent FlightGear
performance. FlightGear (www.flightgear.org) is an open-source flight
simulator.

I bought 2 cards, one with a Radeon 7500QW, the other has a Radeon
9000If. Both have 128MByte memory, and are Powered by ATI, Built by
Hightech Information Systems, www.hightech.com.hk. It's virtually
impossible to get Built by ATI cards here.

My PC is an Athlon 800 with VIA KT133 chipset.

Here are my observations:

XFree86 4.2.0 (RPMS from RedHat 8.0):

7500:
- scenery is drawn nicely
- aircraft instrument panel is not drawn correctly. According to the
  FlightGear mailing list this is a known problem with 4.2.0 and
  Radeons.
- runs stably

9000:
- not supported by that release.


XFree86 4.2.99.3 (RPMS from RedHat 8.0.93):

7500:
- scenery exhibits massive texturing errors (i.e. wrongly
  colored/textured triangles)
- aircraft instrument panel is drawn correctly
- display freezes after roughly a minute. I could most of the time log
  into the computer over the network, according to strace the X server
  called the RADEON_CP_IDLE ioctl in a loop and was getting EBUSY all
  the time. Killing the X server freezes the machine completely.

9000:
- works nicely, no texturing problems, instrument panel drawn
  correctly


XFree86 4.2.99.901 (RPMS from Mike Harris):

7500:
- scenery still exhibits the texturing problems
- the freezes are gone


Would be nice if this problem could be solved, although I'm not
depending on it, I can run flightgear without textures...

Tom

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to