Regarding: Rage Mobility P/M --  -1 line on left side ; +1 bogus line on right side ;
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
------------------------------------------------------------
XFree86 Version: 4.1.0.1 compiled by Debian

OS: Linux 2.4.18 - Debian

Area: Xserver

Server: XFree86 (The XFree86 4.x server)

Video Card:

ATI Rage Mobility P/M
ATI Mach64 chipset with an internal RAMDAC

Description:

I have a 1280x1024 display and an ATI Rage Mobility P/M on a Dell Inspiron 7500 
laptop.  I know this model has three different LCD panels including a 1400x1050 model, 
which I do not have.  I believe it also comes with a 1024x768 model.  This may explain 
why I don't see any other reports about this from google.

On the left side of the display I'm missing a line.  i.e. instead of the first column 
on my LCD panel being the first column of data, it's actually showing me the second 
column of data.

On the right side of the display, I'm bonus a bogus line.  It's consistently a 
duplicate of column ~1278.

When I turn on sw_cursor it is effected by this as well.  hw_cursor is not.  The LCD 
is not the problem.

`import -window root` shows me the screen as it should be, without the column out of 
place.

If I set a pixel at 0x0, I won't see it.  If I set one at 1279x0 it will display at 
1278x0 on the LCD.  So essentially it looks like X is off by 1 all the time and since 
there's no way to display a pixel at -1x0, it doesn't display at all.

If I try a resolution that isn't 1280x, the behavior is fairly unpredictable.  
Sometimes the x=MAX column is black, and other times it's a duplicate.  I believe the 
ATI chip has predefined ways of displaying popular modes (640x480, 800x600, etc.) and 
others are left to fill the screen and smooth in or out extra pixels.

My first thought was that it was a hardware problem.  hw_cursor is not effected, 
though.  Also, the windows driver seems to put things in the right place.  Also column 
1279 is displayed on the physical 1278, so it appears to be the X video driver.

I am in the process of trying to find another Linux user with the same model I have to 
verify that it's not specific to my computer.


Repeat By:

Running the X server in a standard way.

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to